Thursday, September 4, 2008

Ricci Cortez Dies







Received Thursday, 9-4-08





"I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Ricci Cortez, Burlesque Queen and Legend, passed away today at the age of 83. Arrangements are pending. Please let anyone that you know that may have known Ricci know of her passing."

Ricci was very well known in the burlesque world, but she was very important to many of us in Houston. She and her partner, Papa Bear, ran THE bar on Shepherd for years. We all knew her and she remembered a lot of us. After a funeral at once time, Pat O, Sandy Swanland, and I went to the bar with some other people and we all talked about ourselves and lives and drank a lot . We discussed how the world was changing and what that would mean.
The above picture was taken in 2004 when she was at a convention in Las Vegas of Legends of Burlesque. She is still styling and looking good.
Please let me know if you have any more information on her.
Kay VC

So far, no obit in the Houston Chronicle. There should be.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ricci will be dearly missed. I was a close friend of Marion P's and Ricci had Marion's heart as she had many of ours throughout the years. She always had a loving smile and warm hug for all who knew her and for those who she just met. Ricci always had a light in her eyes and love in her heart.
R.I.P Ricci, love and blessings sent to Light your way...

Unknown said...

MY RICCI BABY, I LOVED YOU SO...YOU WERE SO FAR AWAY FROM THIS OL BROAD. I ALWAYS WISHED I COULD COME ONE MORE TIME AND BE WITH MARTHA,DEE&JANE. LIKE THE OLD DAYS.BUT ALAS GOD TOOK YOU FROM US, WELL NOW YOU AND MARTHA ARE TOGETHER AGAIN.I BET YOUR HAPPY NOW! I WILL NEVER FORGET YOU MY QUEEN,WE ALL LOVED YOU SO. I JUST WISH THE TEARS WOULD STOP......
ANGEL&VIC

Unknown said...

My thoughts often return to that time
in my life, and the kindness of Ricci Cortez. I was telling my Love about those beautiful and terrible times, and what it was like in Houston. After telling her my Ricci
story we "googled" her and found your post and the 2004 video. You asked for remembrances, here is mine.
Remember the Saturday night floor show at the 60's on the weekend of the Houston Invitational Softball Tournament? Local exotic dancers (all gay) and Ricci, performed for the crowd, I remember Toy Tiger and Jeanne Lance (? last name). I was 18 and managed to get into the bar with the worst fake ID ever made, it was heaven! Finally proof that I wasn't the only one. I must have looked very young and more than a little frightened, sitting right by the edge of the stage. Ricci spotted me and danced over, giving me a sweet and sly smile. I knew I was in for it but I trusted
her. She took my glasses, returning to center stage she crooked her finger for me to come and get them.With the crowd cheering and laughing I got up and went to her; Ricci promptly put my glasses in the bottom part of her costume. It looked like the 1940's
costume from the online pics, but less revealing as I recall. Needless to say she extended my agony for a few more seconds before letting me retrieve my specs. My partner says it was sweet, Ricci's way of having some fun and still saying to me....It's OK kid, you're home, you are one of us. I've often thought about that Saturday so long ago, it meant so much to me then, it still does today. Who would believe that a simple act of inclusion could bring tears to my eyes 44 years later. Rest in peace, sweet Lady.
Thanks for listening.